Saturday, March 1, 2008

Martian Child


I watched the DVD last night with my 2 sons who have RAD and my college daughter who is home visiting. It is about a single dad who adopted a child from the foster care system. There were a few things that were not true to life. The main things for me were the number of people supervising this adoption and life together. We had a couple of visits from one worker and that is it. The other is the ending which I cannot tell you or you won't need to see it. The biggest part of the movie felt very true to life for me. I could identify with the dad's feelings as he was going through the process of deciding to adopt. His concern over his son's peculiar behaviors. I also felt for the child as I saw how different he felt. I understood why he acted that way. None of my sons have decided to be from another planet. They do for the most part feel different, have trouble fitting in and have great deal of fear of life. My boys were very quiet during the movie. The dad and son quote Winston Churchill, "Never, never, never, quit." I showed them that I have a metal bookmark with that quote on it. They were very impressed so I am on the lookout for one for each of them. Please let me know if you know where to find one. Mine was a gift. And as for parenting our children with RAD "Never, Never, Never, Never, Never Quit."

3 comments:

Denise said...

Sounds like you have had some interesting evenings. Hope you are enjoying this time with your daughter! I know I will never quit - but it sure would be an easy thing to do without people like you! Keep up the good work!

Coralyn said...

http://www.giftsforprofessionals.com/92599964-00240.html Is this what you're looking for?

Brenda said...

Coralyn,

THAT is it! Thanks so much.