Thursday, May 28, 2009

Grief & Bereavement

I begin a new class this evening called Grief & Bereavement Counseling. I have been waiting all along for this class with great anticipation. Our children with RAD are grieving. They are stuck in a state of grief. I have 3 different books I am reading and am sure to get a boat load full of useful information. I will pass it along as I receive it.

We all know adults who have suffered the loss of a loved one. Maybe you have lost someone. I have lost a couple of key people from my life. Some people come back from it and go on. Others grieve the rest of their lives. They are stuck. Our children with RAD are suffering from a more complex form of grief but they have had great loss. They lost both parents and maybe some siblings. They lost their homes, pets, clothes, furniture. Think if you suddenly lost all those.

I have often heard the story told like this: Suppose some very nice people came to your door and took you suddenly from your home. They put you in the car and took you to a nicer home to a new family. They said "This is your new family." How would you feel? I realize you are not (well hopefully not) suffering neglect and abuse in your current home but even if our children were they loved those families.

So as we look at our little kiddos today. Let's look at children who are so sad ~ Grieving. Have a loving healing day.

2 comments:

BeckyJoie said...

So true and they've given up their sense of identity and belonging and traded it for a strange one. They've given up the fact that they were the ones caring for themselves and it got them through to survival and now they have lost that because and adult or adults are controlling and caring for their needs/lives. It's a lot!

J. said...

It's funny that you posted this today, I just spent 3 days doing PRIDE trainer training and we one of the major componets is loss - my boys have had so much in their short lives, grieving is a huge part of thier healing process