Monday, March 30, 2009

Mama Mondays

Trees get most of their strength from the roots. The storms come and if they have a shallow root system they will blow over.

People are that way. Moms are that way. We think we have to be tough and strong. Sometimes we do. Sometimes we need to stop and let someone else be the strong one. We need a strong support system. The professionals in our lives will come and go. We need support that will stay. Here is my support system:

My spiritual life which for me is all about my relationship to God.
My church staff and members.
Friends both in real life and on line.
Support groups (mine is an online support group but if you live in a big city you should be able to find one there)
Family (my husband, older kids,parents)

There are always going to be family and friends who just don't get it. That is OK. They can be your support system for some other aspect of your life. For RAD you need people who get it, believe you and are non judgmental. Seek them out. It will make you stronger. Then when the storms come. You will stand fast. If you don't.....

1 comment:

Wandavalon said...

Dear Brenda,
I love that analogy. I think I will envision myself as a big strong oak tree with deep roots, well grounded to the earth, when I am feeling defeated by my children. I am Mama to 3 beautiful, spirited adopted RAD siblings, 2 sons ages 10 and 7 and a daughter age 6. Holidays are so stressful, and today (Good Friday) was no exception. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings :(
Thank you for your inspiration and positive influence. I'm sure there are other lurking moms like me out there who are too crazy busy to blog but get support from reading your Blog. One for All and All for One!