Friday, January 4, 2008

Who are all these people?

I frequently have people ask me the difference between the professionals we see. So here is mental health professionals 101.

Psychiatrist: medical doctor trained in prescribing psychiatric medications.

Psychologist: PhD level (also a doctor but not a medical doctor) trained in psychology. can diagnose a mental illness.

Counselor/therapist: Either has a master's level in Licensed Clinical Social Work or Counselling and is licensed by the state as a Licensed Mental Health Practioner to practice under the supervision of a psychologist.

Church counselor: Can have a master's level counselling degree from a college but is not licensed by the state.

Maybe you already knew all this. If not, I hope it makes things somewhat more clear!!


No comments: