The one thing I keep hearing about me is that I am strong. I am always baffled by this and a little confused. I figure everyone else is like me. Or I am like everyone else whichever it should be. So I have been analyzing where this phrase "Brenda you are strong" comes from.
1. My strength comes from the Lord. Because of past events in my life I have seen that He can get me through all things.
2. My kids are counting on me. If I am not there for them to do this who will? It needs to be mom in this situation.
3. I take care of myself. I know this is so confusing and it used to be confusing for me. We are taught to put others first. Not to be self centered. We are all sickened by the Every Man For Himself mentality of todays world. It is taking caring of my emotional needs - the time alone, the coffees with friends, the occasional pedicure or manicure (if my daughters are reading this, no wise cracks. They tease me about how often I do it) My physical needs of extra sleep when the boys are acting out, exercise and trying to eat very healthy foods, the spiritual needs of time with God, quitting my jobs at church so I can be fed for awhile and the prayers of my friends.
4. A very supportive husband. I have needed a lot more hugs lately and he is always there. If I say any sentence that begins "I need..." his answer is "of course". When I told him I wanted to work on a masters in counseling he had the initial knee jerk response at the expense and then said "go for it."
5. My friends are always there and encouraging and cheering me on. Its like a marathon runner with family and friends along side lines cheering. How can I fail?
So.....now that I think about it, if I am as strong as people keep telling me I am, (I still say you are just as strong as me) it is because of the support of my God, my husband and each of YOU.