Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Triggers





We all have triggers for certain behaviors. For me donuts are a trigger for compulsive eating. Thus none of you see me in the donut room between Sunday School and church unless I am running through looking for someone. Other people have triggers for overspending, anger, or maybe alcohol. We discovered today at attachment therapy that a trigger for the boys is yelling. A is always talking about Chris and I yelling. I rarely yell anymore (notice I said anymore, it is something I have worked hard on) and Chris only now and then. And yet to talk to A we yell all of the time. A and R have done their best to manipulate and push buttons until we yell. So today we after we came home I listened. Sure enough they walk around pushing each others buttons until someone yells. It seems to be a primal need to have yelling at all times. It is the sound they were born around and raised around in the beginning; yelling and complete chaos. They need it. They crave it. So now Chris and I are working hard to change that. Our house is going to become a "yell free zone". I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

I need to work more on not yelling too. In my family growing up, it seemed like everyone talked at the same time, and the one who was the loudest, is the one who was heard : )

Suzie said...

That's a great post! Thank you!