Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A New Day

Good morning! It can be a good morning. We get to choose. Mornings are notoriously difficult for my RADlings.  They wake up ready to fight the world.  I say "they" because even Taz still has a hard time in the mornings.  Right now he is in the kitchen doing all he can to pick an argument with any takers.  I just told him to stop or he leaves the room for 5 minutes. I have done this many times and for today it worked. Other days it would not.  But their mood, anger, rage... does NOT dictate what kind of day I have. I can choose.  I do not need to feel their feelings or get caught up in the whole "control" game. If they have clothes on, eat and get out the door I am good. Anything additional is candy.  I have my cup of coffee, I'm off to my internship and a world of fascinating people.  Today I hope you choose to have a good morning too.

6 comments:

stellarparenting.com said...

sounds a lot like morning at our house too! Have a good day, I plan on having one as well.

LemonyRenee' said...

I am choosing a good day, too. It's funny to have the "you get to choose" thing used on me. It really does put things very clear, doesn't it. Okay, okay, I choose a happy day -- even with some sunshine on my face -- how's that?!

Sending a good day to you and all who come by here today.

GB's Mom said...

Choosing to have a good morning is an art. My skills are developing.

bylerbunch said...

What an awesome post! Thank you for this reminder. It's all about choices, and I have choices too!

Life's Mom said...

I often find that the same life lessons I am teaching "Life" I have to re-teach myself. Thank you Brenda for the reminder. Yes I do get to choose how my day will be. And I do get to choose not to walk in fear of the future. I am getting better at choosing joy with all of the practice in patience that she throws my way. :)

This morning she put her clothes on backwards and pretended to not notice. How in the world she got her jeans on backwards is beyond me! I thought about not noticing myself and letting her go to school that way, but decided she would really enjoy being such a distraction to her class. So I made her change - all the while with her say "what?" Sometimes I just have to laugh at her creative ways of being rebellious.

Jennifer said...

Just the post I needed. Thank you.