Friday, May 15, 2009

Summer Activities for the little RADlets

I sometimes forget that most of you still have little ones in the house. Our youngest is 14 years old and our oldest is 23 so our summer activities will be much different than what some of you will need. So I am going into the cobwebs of my mind to pull out or old summer activities.

Finger "painting" ~ using an old cookie sheet use shaving cream or pudding and let them "paint" away on the cookie sheet or paper placed on the sheet.

Painting~ Give them a bucket of water and a paint brush and let them paint outside whatever they like. Most kids are fascinated by this.

Play dough~ Make it yourself. It is much softer and doesn't dry out like the store bought kind. Plus you can make your own colors! The recipe is at the link if you click the word Play dough

Bubbles~This site has several bubble recipes. Look for things to use to make different shapes and sizes of bubbles such as the plastic rings from a 6 pack of pop, string tied in a circle, straws, etc.

Plays~ My kids loved acting out stories. Read a fable or short story and then let the kids perform it for you.

Dress up~ Go to your local second hand shop and buy dress up clothes of all kinds. Dig out old Halloween costumes you aren't going to use again. Put them in a big box and let them pretend.

Tea parties~ Fix strawberry short cakes and tea and have a "grown up" party.

Here are some other resources:

Family Fun Magazine's site

Preschoolers Today

Babies and Toddlers

Wondertime ~ click at the top under activities

Lest you think any of these websites sound to young for your kids, remember that they are emotionally delayed and that they may enjoy these activities for younger kids! Have a healing day!

4 comments:

marythemom said...

Do you have any suggestions for older kids? My 14 and soon to be 16 year old RADishes are "too old" for almost all Summer programs, but nowhere near capable of being unsupervised.

The older one will be in Summer School part of the day, but they (and my 10 and 12 year old) will be stuck with Grandma all Summer (Hubby and I work full-time). They'll do some chores, go to the library (although my RADishes are not big readers), occasionally go to the park, and get to go swimming, but other than that we have nothing planned.

They "think" they are all grown up so we have to be a little sneaky in getting them to do more age appropriate activities (14 year old is emotionally about 5). My 14 year old especially is already having meltdowns about having to spend the Summer with "family" (not her REAL family of course *sigh*).

Anyway, I'm kind of discouraged, frustrated and dreading the end of school. I could really use some advice.

Mary in TX
http://marythemom-mayhem.blogspot.com

Mom to biokids Ponito(10) and his sister Bob(12)
Sibling pair adoptive placement from NE 11/06
Finally finalized on Kitty(14) on 3/08 - 2 weeks before her 13th birthday!
Finalized on her brother Bear 7/08. He turned 15 the next day.

" Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."

Brenda said...

We are going to try having Taz help with the summer reading program for a couple of hours in the morning at the library. He is healing though. If you are still at the raging stage that may not be a good idea. Last summer I kept my boys very busy with physical activity. Going to the pool one day a week, going to the Y one day a week, going to a park one afternoon, going to a matinee (not phyical but still keeping busy), teach them to play tennis if you feel comfortable giving him a raquet, hiking at parks trails, anything that is movement!!! I'll keeping thinking Mary and check on line for stuff too.

BeckyJoie said...

There is a dilemna isn't there? I have 15 and 13 year old RADishes that can't be left alone and are too old for many church VBS programs, etc. that they might like to attend and may benefit from. I'd almost have to attend with them even if they could attend. But on the upside, we get to have our children with us at older ages than they would want to otherwise. My friends' kids at their ages don't want to spend any time with their parents. There are blessings in disguise. Although my kids sometimes act like I'm the mean mom from the hot place, they sure do need me. LOL. Good post.

Brenda said...

Becky-Joie,

I really had that issue last year. My boys were exactly those ages. We just did a lot of stuff together at home. It was a tough summer but I think this summer will be a lot easier because Bear is going to work. I hope that goes well.