Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Living with RAD


My goodness. We have had so much RAD behavior since we came home from our trip on January 12. It has escalated daily. I have tried every thing I can think of and NOTHING has made a bit of difference. Taz has had made some very strong attachment in the past so I knew down deep that we would get to him eventually. I was just shocked it was taking so long. I emailed our attachment therapist who we have not seen in many months. Taz was promoted out of attachment therapy. He suggested getting him to EMDR therapy. Once again I saw the miracle of EMDR happen right before my eyes. I am such a believer in the calming effect on this therapy in dealing with trauma. It is so worth checking into!! It has not worked with Bear in the past but he is not open about his feelings either.


Here is some info on EMDR: http://www.emdr.com/


If you would like to find someone who uses EMDR in their therapy just google the name of your state and EMDR therapy like this "Nebraska, EMDR therapy". The person should specialize in people who have suffered trauma and completed 2 levels of training. They generally state this.


I'd just like to say here and now "JOAN ROCKS". (our EMDR therapist)

3 comments:

Queen Mommy said...

I completely agree with you, Brenda! I have experienced the miracle of EMDR! During my daughter's attachment therapy I was fortunate enough to have it done to me. My older daughter has experienced EMDR several times with great success. My youngest daughter is also not open with her emotions so she doesn't allow herself to be affected by the EMDR experience. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Brenda said...

I'm glad to hear about someone else's success with it. I think it is going to become more and more common in trauma therapy.

J. said...

mu hubby does EMDR in his practice, it's amazing how well it can work. Your right though it doesn't work for everyone