Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Parental Qualities for success? You HAVE them!



One of the questions asked on Cafe Mom yesterday was "What 3 parental qualities do you have that have helped you deal with RAD?" Interesting question. For me, I believe it is faith, determination and flexibility. I'm throwing a sense of humor in there too. I can say there are 4 right? Faith: I believe my faith in God, that there is a reason for everything, He is in control and will see me through is where I get my strength. I have faith that I am lead to professionals who are right for my kids, to friends who are right for me. (that's you : ) ) Determination: I will not give up on this child. I will keep fighting for him no matter how hard he fights me, hurts me or exhausts me. I told my husband that my stubbornness is actually a gift from God. : ) Not sure he sees that sometimes. HA. Flexibility: I have to go with the flow. Some days my schedule is completely thrown off by a call from school. I take advice from professionals on how to deal with my kids and have to be willing to try new things. Humor: Keeps me going. There has to be a brighter sillier way to look at things. Who wants to be gloomy all the time? Not me. So what are the qualities God has given you to make you a good parent? He enables us all. I'd love to hear about you.

3 comments:

Renee said...

Sense of humor and knowing my limits. There are just times when enough is enough and I have to runaway from home.

Tami said...

Can I be honest? I never think of parenting this way. I always think of the things I do wrong. But I'll take a stab at it. It would be good for me to think on the positive for once, huh?

I dont' have a RAD child, but one quality that helps me in dealing with my kids is that I have the ability to see things from other people's perspectives. This sometimes gets me in trouble when I assume too much though. I have a sense of humor and like to have fun with my kids. I am the same with them as I as with other people. I don't want them to ever sit in a room with me or hear me talking with others and wonder who I am.

This was a good exercise for me, Brenda. Thanks for the idea.

Brenda said...

Wow! Reading what you both said helps me realize areas I need to work on. Thanks for sharing.