Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Reason For the Season


Tis the season.....for what? Mad Christmas buying? Decorating perfectly? Going to all the programs? Buying exactly what everyone wants even though you can't afford it? Sometimes that is what Christmas is reduced too. I'm going to work very hard this year on keeping my family's focus on the birth of Jesus. I can do that with music I play, with the words I say but mainly through my actions. It is always hard to do but it can be done. As far as RAD goes at Christmas, a child who is so focused on themselves REALLY has problems with the entire holiday being about them. So I need to find some ways to try and turn the focus outward. One way will be to choose a name of a needy child from a tree in the store and shop for them. I am thinking of taking them to help serve at the soup kitchen one evening. Many children have the want lists made, but RAD kids see their want lists as already purchased and theirs. So when they start talking about the things they want; in their minds the items are already theirs. They have to realize they may not get some. Maybe not even the thing they want most. Sorry. The paintball gun is out. Some kids with RAD know each holiday is going to be nothing but a disappointment so they might as well make sure know one else is happy either. School becomes more challenging because they feed off the other kid's excitement and take it a level higher. So plenty of sleep, try to keep the diet healthy and the schedule as close to the same as normal. And then there is PRAYER. Last but certainly not least. "In all your ways acknowledge him and He will make your paths straight." Merry Christmas.

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

Wish I could just slow everything down, and take it all in. He truly is the reason we do what we do.

Renee said...

Now I feel bad for all my anxiety in preparations. Not that I will stop preparing, that could send me into a breakdown.

The more I read your blog, the more I think A is somewhere between RAD and a more standard attachment disorder.

Brenda said...

Renee,

Maybe she just has attachment issues. I'm glad for you for having so much done for Christmas. When December comes you can just enjoy the good things.